We’ve put together some commonly asked questions to give you more information about BCA Caving Cover. If you have a question that is not answered below you can contact us via the most convenient method on the contact us page.

Getting a quote and purchasing cover

How do I apply for a quote?

Please complete an application form and, if required, send to bca@pjhayman.com.

On receipt of your application form, we will send you a quotation, normally within 24 hours.

Your quotation will provide details of the cover as well as instructions on how to take out a policy.

I’m travelling today. Can I get instant cover and policy documents?
As soon as your credit or debit card details have been accepted, confirmation of your cover will be emailed to the email address you have given.  This will include the 24 hour emergency contact number and claims number.
Can I travel without my documents?
Yes you can. Your policy number is all that is needed for proof of insurance when travelling. It is however, recommended that you take your documents with you for information and also for when you are asked for brief details of your policy cover. Your Policy Schedule has your BCA policy number and the Policy Wording has the 24 hour emergency contact number and claims number.
When does my cover begin?
If you are buying a Single Trip policy, your cancellation cover begins instantly. Insurance cover under all other sections begins on the policy start date. If you are buying an Annual Multi-Trip policy, your cancellation cover begins on the policy start date. You can choose when your cover begins (up to 31 days in the future). If you have already booked a holiday, and have no other travel insurance arrangements in force, you should ensure your policy starts immediately, so you are covered for cancellation.
I'm not a member, does this matter?
You will need to be a BCA member resident in the UK to take out our travel insurance, but it’s easy to join the BCA.
How can I take out more than one policy?
You can only apply for one policy at a time (Group and Individual cover).  
How soon will the insurance take effect?
Your credit card is debited immediately, and we’ll endeavour to process the insurance the next working day. You’re covered as soon as your credit card payment is authorised and you receive the confirmation email. Full policy details will be emailed to the email address you have given.
I haven’t received my confirmation email…
Please check your spam filters. If you haven’t received an email within 12 hours, please contact us.
I'm at the airport now – will I be covered?
Yes, as long as you complete the application and pay for your policy before you leave the UK.
I'm already abroad – can I buy or renew cover?
No. The exception is for annual policies, these can be renewed whilst still abroad as long as you complete the application and pay before the original policy has expired so that there is no gap in cover.
I live overseas. Can I buy BCA Travel Insurance?
No, only residents of United Kingdom, Channel Islands and Isle of Man can buy BCA travel insurance. We will cover HM forces or British Embassy staff stationed overseas provided their home area is the United Kingdom, Channel Islands or Isle of Man.

About the cover

What countries are included in ‘European’ cover?
The United Kingdom, Andorra, Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Canary Islands, Channel Islands, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Faroe Islands, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Isle of Man, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Madeira, Mediterranean Islands (including Majorca, Menorca, Ibiza, Corsica, Sardinia, Sicily, Malta, Gozo; Crete, Rhodes and other Greek Islands, Northern and Southern Cyprus), Moldova, Monaco, Morocco, Netherlands, Norway (excluding Svalbard), Poland, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Romania, Russian Federation (West of Urals), Serbia and Montenegro, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Tunisia, Turkey and the Ukraine (Albania, although in Europe, is excluded from our definition. If you wish to visit Albania or are likely to travel outside the countries specified you will need to select one our Worldwide options.
How about cover for travel to Morocco & Tunisia?
Although they are in North Africa, Morocco and Tunisia are included in the list of countries covered by BCA Travel Insurance for Europe. If you are travelling to either of these countries, then there is no need to buy Worldwide cover.
Who underwrites BCA Travel Insurance?
This scheme is underwritten by Antares Syndicate 1274 at Lloyd’s. Registered Office: 21 Lime Street London EC3M 7AA. Antares is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority.
How many days am I actually covered per year under the Annual Multi-Trip policy?
You may take any number of trips during the period of insurance; however certain limitations and restrictions apply as set out below:

Annual Multi-trip policies are available with a limit of 45 days abroad per individual trip (90 days in total per year), 60 days abroad per individual trip (120 days in total per year) or 90 days abroad per individual trip (180 days in total per year).

Note: The options to select 60 days abroad per individual trip and 90 days abroad per individual trip are only available on UK, Europe and Worldwide (excluding the USA, Canada and the Caribbean) policies.

Do the limits under the policy apply per person or per policy?
Each of you is covered separately up to the limits shown in the Details of Cover. The policy limits apply in the same way as they would if you had each taken separate policies.
Am I covered for holidays in the United Kingdom?
Yes, provided you spend at least one night in accommodation you booked before your departure, or if the sole purpose of the trip is to take part in a sport or leisure activity for which you have bought cover. Whichever policy you buy, some benefits are not payable for holidays in the UK. Please see the Policy Wording for full details.
What happens if my journey home is delayed beyond the insurance period?
If your journey home is delayed beyond your control and you do not get back into the country until after your policy has expired, your cover will continue (up to 60 days) until for example, your airline or ferry operator can get you home.
What about government-issued travel advice?
The British Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) provides practical advice and assistance to British nationals who travel abroad. Sometimes they will advise against “all but essential travel” to certain areas, regions or whole countries; cover is included for these areas. However, in more extreme circumstances they will advise against “all travel”. There is no cover for travel to/through areas where advice against “all travel” has been issued. If you enter such an area, then all cover under the policy will cease, but cover will be resumed once you leave that area.
If I have BCA Travel Insurance, do I still need to carry a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)?
Yes. The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) allows you to get state-provided healthcare in all European Economic Area (EEA) countries and Switzerland at a reduced cost or sometimes free of charge. If you use your EHIC to reduce the cost of a medical claim, then the excess (£100) will not be deducted from your claim.

Which policy is for me?

I can’t find what I’m looking for, can you help?
Yes, Please email the details to bca@pjhayman.com
Which should I choose? Single Trip or Annual Multi-Trip travel?
If you’re likely to be going on trips more than once a year, you may well find that an Annual Multi-Trip policy is more convenient and cost effective than taking out a separate policy each time you travel. Just calculate the cost of buying a number of Single Trip policies and compare it with the cost of Annual Multi-Trip. Other factors to consider are, for instance, that it takes time to repeatedly buy new policies and it may slip your mind if you’re booking last minute.
How long can a single trip policy last?
Single trip policies can last up to 365 days.
I'm going on a long trip but only going caving for one week, can I take out cover just for that week?
No. You must take out cover for the entire trip, taking into account all activities likely to be undertaken. So, if you were travelling for one month, but doing just one caving expedition and spending the rest of the time on the beach, you’d still need BCA travel insurance for the entire time.
How do I choose my period of cover?
Your insurance policy must cover the whole of your round trip. Cover would normally start on the day that you leave your home address in the UK and must remain in place until you return home.

Cover for COVID-19 

Am I covered for COVID-19?
The policy provides no cover under Section 1 – Cancellation or Curtailment Charges, or Section 8 –

Journey disruption including airspace closure for claims in any way caused by or resulting from:

a) the coronavirus disease (COVID-19);

b) any mutation or variation of COVID-19

c) severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2);

d) any mutation or variation of SARS-CoV-2;

e) any epidemic, pandemic or mass outbreak of infectious disease;

f) any fear or threat of a), b), c), d) or e) above (whether actual or perceived).

The remaining sections cover COVID-19 under the standard policy terms which can be found in the policy wording.

Changing your mind

Can I change my policy details?
If you need to make any changes to your policy, such as updating the list of people travelling or amending your travel dates, just contact us.
I no longer want the policy – can I alter it or cancel it?
Yes. If the cover does not meet your requirements you may return it to us within 14 days of purchase. A full refund will be made provided you have not travelled, made, or are intending to make, a claim. No refunds will be made if you cancel your policy after 14 days. If you need to amend your cover before departure then contact us. You will need to pay any additional premium and there may be charges to cover the costs of administration.